Sunday, November 12, 2006

Watercolour in Taos

For more than a month I have been trying my hand at watercolour--straight from the lofty tubes of D&R, DS, MG and a small number of W&N and one tube of Schmincke-rose madder. These are all new, and available at Artisan, and hopefully not too much duplication from among those watercolour tubes sitting in my storage unit back East.

I also have a small number of pads, blocks and sheets of watercolour and drawing paper--again not the generous lot in storage, but a sufficient number to test and touch.

I found the MG and W&N the most reliable. DS comes in third place as their tubes continue to run out faster than I can top off a plastic palette with their juicy watercolour. Also living in a very dry climate, totally different than the humid one I lived in for 10 years, I found that the DS dried on the palette faster than the honeyed MG, and the standard W&N. This has been my first time with D&R, and I rank them last. I found their pigment load insufficient or at least radically lower than the others.

But, it is paper that really gave me a full course of instruction and the start of a degree in art materials. I am contrary, and find Arches pads at the lower end of satisfactory. I just tested some water and colour on my Robert Bateman (cover series, recycled, 110lb) and it curled not at all while the Arches, 140lb. seems to want to arabesque.

No comments: