Thursday, December 01, 2005

Trying to catch up with each day's memories can be a challenge.

Monday, R and I found ourselves in the East Village. While walking back from a St. Mark's restaurant, I looked up as we approached Second Avenue.

I was perplexed by the absence of a movie theatre on Second Avenue off St. Mark's Place that I recall going to with great regularity. I know I saw the outstanding film, "Coming Home" with Jane Fonda about a paraplegic war veteran played by Jon Voight. The movie left a big impression on me then, enough so that nearly 30 years later I recall it clearly. It probably was among the first post-Vietnam movies, and among my favorites.

But no matter how much I craned my neck the theatre was gone. What was left was the Stuyvesant Polyclinic and the Library.

No comments: