Saturday, December 09, 2006

Another two movies under my belt: Ms. Dalloway and a recent version of Jane Eyre. I borrowed both from the library--a pleasant surprise to find these.

Ms. Dalloway is based on a VW novel, one I apparently never read. Vanessa Redgrave, among my favourite actors played Ms. D. It was a sad story, reflective and filled with a poignant angst. It may have been written, the novel that is, during a period of despondency. I sensed an underlying sense of doom for the protagonist throughout as if she'd take her own life--and yes, VW did in the end.

Rating: 8

The Jan Eyre version I saw starred George C. Scott and Susannah York, a most unlikely duo. It was a shorter version, I think, than some of the other films, and although it presented the main elements of Bronte's story, it seemed somewhat lacking.

Rating: 6

No comments: