Saturday, September 06, 2008

Starting early on Friday morning until mid-day Sunday was a spinning top of local activity. The Wayne County Arts Alliance held its Artist Studio tour, Callicoon had its street fair, and Narrowsburg celebrated its annual Riverfest.

We started out in Honesdale to see stonework, and then headed over to Richard and Roberta's fabulous property at the Overlook road. Both stops were well worth it, but I went on to Mary's alone to see her plein aire pastels, gab and drink a cool glass of lemonade.

I thought High Watermark was scheduled for Friday night, but L called to check and we both discovered it was Saturday, so we stayed in, talked nearly all night and ate Chinese food.

Then Saturday I devoted myself to Callicoon's Street Fair, and held a few impromptu interviews with the Fly Fishers and the Men's Hunting Club. I also approached the Livingston Manor Quilters--not a very receptive group.

HighWater was a good evening with Tom reading one of his amazing short stories--a compelling narrative of a trumpet player. I certain hope it reaches a wider audience and appears in print. I also met some new and interesting folks.

With just enough sleep to start Sunday morning with one cup of coffee, I dashed over to see Jim's barn structure, and stayed for more than an hour talking wood, barns, politics and life in the county. I excused myself to make my way to Ray and Carol's house to see his famous sculpture and amazing jewelry.

Imagine my surprise to find MlG doing a video of Ray, and my further surprise that somehow J and I miscommunicated and she never met me.

When passing through Narrowsburg I spied a parking space so I checked out Riverfest, and met a few of my neighbours and acquaintances. It is always lovely to met CB, a most accommodating and warm person to chat with anytime and even in the middle of a street fair.

I also stopped to chat with Charles, and ask if I could call and interview him for my convivium article. He agreed.

By the time I had retraced my steps back to my own house, I was exhausted but smiling.

No comments: